Sunday, October 3, 2010

Caelan's Dyno-mite Party

Well, my original idea of not having to clean the house or cook a lot of food for my second son's 2nd birthday was quite successful. I had to do neither. The temptation, though, to not go overboard was too irresistible and for my little two year old, what started out as a simple birthday party for his friends, turned out to be this:


Where did all these people come from? Just kidding. Since our venue was free--Dinosaur Park in Ashburn, we decided to invite Caelan's friends and all their siblings, too. Well, I guess we forgot in our planning, that our friends have like three kids now, so we had quite the crowd. But you know what? I loved every minute of it. It was a beautiful day in the park to celebrate.


So, here are some highlights of the party:
(there are a lot of pictures to enjoy, the scary
thing is.... these are only like a few of them!
)



We had kids of all ages.

and sizes.




This is me on the right--above--wearing a dinosaur like shirt.  It's fun to add to the theme!

And for the creative part....Soryda's Party in a Box. The adults got a gourmet boxed lunch with turkey and provolone focaccia sandwiches, sun chips, fresh fruit and a brownie square. Everything was homemade, and it was yummy! I'll give a way a little secret: I went to the Giant food store salad bar and smiled nicely at the Manager and asked him if I could have 30 plastic containers each of the large and small. He gave me that, along with 35 mustard and mayonnaise packs for a whopping $4.00. Score! Coffee filter for the chips and a cupcake holder for the homemade bite size brownie.  Orange napkins and green cutlery tie the colors together.


The kids...well, what a treat! They got turkey and cheddar sandwiches, but not just ANY sandwich, they got a dyno-mite one! William Sonoma sells these cute dinosaur sandwich cutters, which I also used to make the cookies.  Giant food deli bar provided the little plastic salad containers and I matched a foam dinosaur stick-on (Michaels Craft store) with the same color cupcake paper holder for the fruit. 


Everyone got dinosaur spine cupcakes, which Patrick made and I frosted, in neon orange and green. Another tip: I asked the Target bakery section for two 24 cupcake containers. They gave it to me for free.



The birthday boy got a special dinosaur cake made from two cupcakes (cut a head and a tail out of one cupcake, the body is another cupcake, and frost them together and add a lot of chocolate chips!)


And for favors, everyone got a dinosaur cookie to go!


Yes, I know. I don't know when to stop. It was very fun for me. And Patrick and my mom helped out tremendously. If I hadn't said it before, I'll say it again: my husband is amazing. To end our day, the kids went on a dinosaur egg hunt, and that was REALLY fun. Even the birthday boy managed to find some treats!  I ordered the big dinosaur egg shells from Orientaltrading.com but you can probably find a lot at the Dollar Store around Easter.


Caelan even had a dino sweatshirt on. :) The kids had a great time because they just ran around in the park, and the parents got a chance to hang out and talk. I couldn't have asked for a better party. We hope your dinosaur birthday was special for you, Caelan. I know you won't remember it, but after having seen these pictures and CLICK HERE for all the pictures, I'm certain you'll enjoy these later in life! Also, here's a little video clip of you singing Happy Birthday to yourself. I couldn't resist!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

LOVE IT!!! Especially the video of Caelan and him "blowing out" the candle. More Caelan videos please!
:-)

Meghan said...

Happy Birthday, Sweetie!

Mom said...

What a fun day! The video is precious. We love you Caelan!
Gandpa and Grandma

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...