Friday, October 3, 2008

So the Adventure Begins...

Well, it's day three at the hospital. And I can't tell you how elated I am to be going home. This is coming from the same girl who ever since she saw an episode of the Brady Brunch where Cindy and Bobby got to eat ice cream after having their tonsils taken out, always wanted to be hospitalized and have tons of visitors. (The only other time I ever got to stay overnight at the hospital was the first time I gave birth.) I suppose I still like the all-you-can gorge ice cream and the streaming friends who come with well-wishes, but I am glad to part with the experience. I basically got no sleep while I was here. Zip, zero, zilch. Perhaps it's my raging post-pardum hormones, but it is INCREDIBLY annoying every time you actually fall asleep that a staff person comes in to ask you something irrelevant! Even with a sign outside the door that mom is resting, in the course of one hour, I had eight people stop by (who by the way was not my doctor or Caelan's)!

Aside from the sleep deprivation, one of my worst fears is coming true - Caelan likes to cry a lot. It was a bit deceptive in the beginning because he would mostly sleep and make door-squeaking noises (that at the time were very cute) and each day, he would progressively get louder and I got more clueless as to why he was wailing. It had been only an hour since the last feed!

Experiencing the classic mom-nightmare, last night around 3:30 a.m., I had finally dozed off and I hear this baby's distant, but loud crying down the hall. My first thought was "oh, that poor mommy" and the crying became shrieking, and it got louder, and closer, and closer...and I thought, "No way! Couldn't be, mine just got sent to the nursery..." Sure enough, that poor mommy turned out to be ME! Caelan was back and the nurses had no clue how to calm him. After I fed him (again!), I couldn't help thinking this was the exact course that Micah took when we found out he had reflux...the nurses would bring him in shrugging and saying, "Your baby just wants to be with his mommy" which is CODE FOR: "We tried everything. You take him, and um...we wish you lots of luck when you leave here." Oh, Lord, have mercy!

No comments:

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...