Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Father's Day

Forgive me if I start to gush when I talk about Micah and Caelan's father. He truly is the World's Greatest Dad. I am constantly amazed by Patrick's natural ability to father his children. Before Micah was born, Patrick would read the bible to him, speaking loudly over my big pregnant belly. Since then, he's continued to read every single night to his boys, without fail. The impact that will make on their lives is immeasurable.

And for him, he says it's quite unnatural to be affectionate and physical with his boys, but I've seen him maul them with uncontrollable kisses and hugs, and also wrestle them down as often as they challenge him. Horsey rides and tossing them high into the air is a daily ritual in our house. The more I read about parenting, the more I understand how critically important it is for children to have physical affection, first from their fathers, giving them security, affirmation and significance.

In our culture, training a child is often seen as the mom's job, or the school teacher. In the bible, the Israelite fathers had the responsibility of instructing their children. Patrick has been teaching Micah scripture verses since he's turned two, and little Micah has memorized them! Most importantly, Patrick models it by living out the greatest commandment - to love the Lord with all his heart, and "these commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”

(For Father's Day, Micah and Caelan painted their daddy a shirt.
Hand prints are on each sleeve. I totally stole the idea from Jessel.
Patrick loved it!)


I am so proud of this man, and all he does to invest in his children. Happy Father's Day, honey. I love you.

No comments:

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...