Friday, October 26, 2012

Relax. Don't do it. When You Want to Go to it.

I've stumbled upon something so amazing that I need to share it.  I have found the secret to a happy household.  The principle applies for everyone, but for stay-at-home moms, this one is for you.

This is me from 3-5 p.m.weekdays.


"Well, what's so revolutionary about this?" you ask.    Let me tell you!  It started when our neighbor's kids all started knocking on the door after school.  Micah had just learned to ride his bike without training wheels and all they wanted to do was ride, ride, ride.  In order for them to ride, it was a rule established by the moms that there would be at least one mom sitting out there.


I'm the only full stay at home mom on the block, so a majority of the time it was me.   Oh my gosh, can I tell you even though I was grumbling and complaining at first, it turned out to be the biggest blessing.

1) It made me STOP in the afternoon and DO NOTHING.  It's amazing how hard "not working" is.  If I was in the house, the kids would be playing, but I would be focused on something else I had to do.  


2) Fresh air! It made me go outside and in the warm days, I got vitamin D and in the cold days, I wrapped up in a blanket with my hot coffee or hot chocolate.  It's been unseasonably warm even in late October and when the wind blows on a perfectly cloudless day, and some days I take out my bible, it's clear you are communing with God.

3) As a byproduct, it hydrated me!  You all know the struggles I have with water, but being out there for two hours--my beach chair offered a spot for a "big drink" so I'd fill it and drink two of them!


5)  The focus became my kids.  For many of you SAHMs, you get this---you can be at home, but really distracted that you unintentionally disengage with your kids.  This put a stop to all that.  I had to run after Tristan in the street, and I just got to stare and marvel at my boys as they waved each time they rode by.  The sun would settle on one of their noses and I would notice every detail of their face.



5) I became recharged.  Sitting there in the sun and enjoying my children,  while I'm physically being restored makes for a happy wife when Patrick comes home.  I give him a warm welcome home outside while he pulls up.   The look he gives me is priceless: "Who ARE you?"

 

I wonder that myself.  I began to think this could be considered a variation of a modern-day Sabbath for me.  I fiercely guard this time now.  It's made a huge impact on me.  I won't give it up!  I dare you to try taking two hours of the day and not do anything but rest and get restored.  It looks easy, but there's still often an itch to go "do something".  The Lord knows what He's talking about here.  It's not only good for you, but when you're in this still place, all you want to yell out is "Yay, God!" and that brings Him glory.



2 comments:

LB said...

Great post. I thought you were going to say you could sit from 3-5 because dinner was in the slow cooker. that's been my amazing revelation these days!

Angela said...

*Love*

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...