Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Favorites

Favorite Christmas Cookie- As a family tradition, Patrick's family makes TONS of great cookies. My favorite among them is the rice crispy christmas wreaths his sister Kristen made for us one year. Patrick likes them all, but he favors the russian tea cakes and the marshmellow w/peanut butter w/something or other (obviously he can't remember its name).Favorite Ornament - Mine is the "ugly" ornament. I started putting it up to remind me every year that Christmas isn't about the decorations, flawless parties, and perfect gifts for everyone. Somehow although I try not to, I get all caught up in the to do's and the events we over-commit to---I simply miss WHY we do these things in the first place. The ugly ornament tells me that I can't do it all, that I am not perfect and it's Christ who is made perfect in me. He is the reason to celebrate!

Favorite Tradition- Patrick's family would go down to see the National Tree and then go to Shakeys for pizza. Yes, Shakeys is way out of business but it was GOOD pizza.
Favorite Christmas Song - Well, all of them are my favorite. I'm not trying to cop out of giving one answer, but when I was eight years old, I hardly knew the words to any one Christmas song. That sounds impossible, but remember I am an immigrant and my family didn't celebrate Christmas (they thought Jesus and Santa were one in the same!), so that year my aunt bought me a record of classic christmas songs. I must have sang that whole album over and over again all by myself. The music filled me and they all became my favorites!

Favorite Gift Ever Received- When I was like 6 years old and we didn't have any money, my one gift was this Barbie Styling Head that came with curlers and a hairdryer. I remember unwrapping it and being thrilled to my toes that this half-head thing was all mine and I get to put makeup on it as often as I want!
Favorite Christmas Meal- Patrick loved getting up in the morning and having fruit soup (chopped up oranges, bananas, strawberries in orange juice - yummy!) and patizza, which is sweet bread layered in walnuts and brown sugar icing. And also some turkey sausage on the side. Yum, who's getting hungry?

Fresh Tree/FakeTree? I've always had a fake tree (we grew up poor, hello?) but Patrick always had a real tree. Now, he's a big believer in fake trees that are high speed low drag and the magic word is PRE-LIT! Besides who wants a pine or mold allergy once a year?

Favorite Christmas Movie - Before I married, I didn't have one. Now, hands down my favorite is also Patrick's favorite: A Christmas Story. Patrick likes the part where the kid's tongue gets stuck on the ice and I thought the funniest part was when they were at a chinese restaurant for Christmas dinner and the waiters sang "Fa wa wa wa..."


No comments:

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...