Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Do you ever have one of those days?

Entering the ranks of moms with two little ones, a question I ask every morning as I plan my day is: Will it be worth it to take two children out today? On a day like this, I would say, "No way!" It's 41 degrees, the wind chill factor makes it feel like 30 and the mall is CRAZY with folks returning Christmas gifts. But, Patrick asked me to go with him to Navy Federal to sign up for a Roth IRA, so if I had to be out, I might as well make it a full blown trip!

So, for you Dulles Town Center fans, I parked in front of Macy's with a clear mission: one store, one quick stop --which means no airplane park, no trains, and no carousel-- just a direct route to get my mom a deep fryer for her birthday. It was on sale for $49.99 and I had a Macy's $15 off card. After pulling everything out of the car including two children, fighting the raging wind, and finally finding the fryer--first by finding the elevator and then going clear across the entire store again only on a different floor-- I get to the counter, wait in line after three people and realize as I get to the register---I forgot my wallet in the car!!!! I had taken it out when I needed it for the bank. My mom's birthday is tomorrow and I won't be able to get this gift on sale again.

So, I traveled all the way back to the car, with Micah on my hips and a wailing Caelan in a stroller. Somehow, the temperature seems to have dropped even further? The raging wind almost slams the car door shut on me and Micah so I quickly grab my wallet, head back in, down the elevators to repeat the whole process--- I get to the counter, and she rings me up and guess what? The stupid fryer is not only NOT on sale, but my $15 card doesn't apply to this specific item!!!! Knowing what it could have cost, I just couldn't purchase it!

Agghhhh!!!!

Now feeling the pressure to redeem this trip, knowing full well that I'm out of time because it's almost Micah's nap, I still force us to go get something to eat. Poor little guy almost got indigestion as I made us race down our food, trudge all the way back through the mall, back up the elevators, through the cold, and get Micah in the car before he fell asleep. He was soooo tired, but I "talked Mulan" the entire twenty minute ride home so he WOULDN'T nod off, meanwhile shaking Caelan's carseat with my free hand so that he WOULD fall asleep.

This is my life as a stay-at-home mom. Today I learned that sometimes you need to just go home and cut your losses because now I still have no fryer, but bad heartburn, and will need to do this all over again when they wake up from their nap. I checked online and they do have the fryer at Bed Bath and Beyond for the sale price and I have a 20% off card.

Okay, thanks for letting me rant and rave! I feel much better. :)

3 comments:

mom2boyz said...

yes, had many days like that..and I have found that from the lack of sleep..I dont learn from them very well..in other words they continue to happen. Here's hoping yours dont! =)

Michelle said...

I love how you are keeping it real in your blog and I know just how you feel! Fighting to get it all done between naps, unwilling to pay full price for something, and trying to maintain sanity. It seems to be getting easier as my little ones get older. Missing a nap here and there doesnt seem to phase them too much.

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

Oh Soryda, thanks for "keeping it real" for me. I will remember this story whenever I think "If I were only in America, I could go out!" I guess thats the good thing about it being literally impossible to leave the house with 2 babies here - I never have days like that!

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...