Friday, September 18, 2009

To six wonderful years--September 20, 2003

This Sunday, we will be wishing each other a happy anniversary. As I look back at six years, I am humbled by all God has done in this marriage. Patrick and I were seriously going to kill each other when our marriage began. We're not afraid to tell you that we thought the other one was insane. We didn't understand how the same person we courted, was the same person we married. Inconceivable.


But, I have to hand it us. We worked hard. Exhaustingly hard-- to try and overcome our differences. We prayed and we read books. We sought a counselor. In our efforts to improve our marriage, I discovered how controlling and self-centered I was. When I stopped trying to take the lead, and admire my husband for who he is, I began to give him the respect that he so rightfully deserved.

And Patrick discovered that he had to initiate as the leader of our family, and to meet some of my greatest needs such as conversation, romance, affirmation--all things that weren't natural in his wiring. And then I began to feel loved. Love & Respect--it happened for us, and it revolutionized everything.

I am so grateful to God for marrying this man who has stretched me, taught me, and grew me. In the beginning, I was discouraged that we were opposites but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Through our differences, Patrick has helped me become stronger in the areas I was weak. He has made me wiser. Taught me to live debt-free! Have healthier boundaries. He forces me to stop being the energizer bunny, but relax and enjoy.

Patrick would say that I've taught him to appreciate more, resolve conflict, pursue things with passion, see people as the greatest priority in life, and plan, plan, plan. He's the brains and I'm the heart of the operation, and we both love how although they're different, they work hand-in-hand.

God knew what I needed from him, and what he needed from me. It's only been six years, but can you imagine the benefit after twenty? In the end, it doesn't matter how different we are. It matters that because we love God, we honor each other and we stay committed no matter what. And for those of you know the story, it also helps when he gels his hair. This has been the true secret to keeping our love alive. :)

No comments:

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...