Thursday, February 18, 2010

Hey, I can sew!

Who knew? I took a sewing class in Home Economics once, and I sewed a heart pillow and got an A. Since then, I've probably sewn several buttons. I also attempted straight lines on curtains in my living room. But I don't own a machine, nor have I had any desire to really learn sewing. Because until now, I've always thought that this hobby requires time and money. Why spend all that time making something that you can buy a whole lot cheaper and you can spend the time doing something else? For all you sewers out there who I'm making angry - just wait, I have been enlightened!

My small group recently did a sewing project together and to my surprise, it was so much fun! I'm actually pretty good at sewing. I started late, and finished first! Also, the project we made took very little time, and it was made from scrap fabrics. A lot of friends have sewing machines I can borrow, so I am inspired to start sewing!

So, I made the little thing below. Looks rather simple, but it's somewhat complicated. I'm sure you have no idea what it is. It's supposed to be a little snack bag for the kids. The top velcros together and the inside is even lined! I love the pattern. TADA!!


Just a funny thing to add: When I said to my friend Jen, Sewer Extraordinaire, that this project seemed easier if we used fabric glue, she looked horror-stricken, and said, "Saying fabric glue is like cussing to me. " You had to be there. It was classic. Here are some of the gals in my moms group, sewing the same thing as Jen teaches us how.


I'm going to start on something simple like pillows. And maybe one day, I'll have a sewing & crafts blog like my friend Adrianna. Yeah, right. She's amazing. For now, I'll just be happy that I don't reach for the fabric glue.

4 comments:

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

YOU ARE CAUSING ME TO SIN!!! I am green. GREEN with envy! so so so jealous. I want to come play :) Your snack bag turned out adorable, and that picture of women and sewing machines hanging out in a circle warms my heart.

Michelle said...

Your bag is lovely! Thanks for thinking to take the pictures of our group.

Jen said...

I'm still laughing at what you wrote! So glad you enjoyed yourself and are inspired.
Adrianna - come play with us! You are missed. Glad we warmed your heart. :-)

Judi said...

Soryda, thanks so much for including me in on the email!!!! I'm so happy you enjoyed this "event" and look forward to hearing that you are making more neat items. I enjoyed reading and seeing it via your blog. I just may have to use a few of these pictures to share with the ladies who put together The Vine. Do I have your permission? We need to talk about a machine for you girl!

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...