Monday, February 15, 2010

I kinda hate Valentines Day

Our eighth Valentines Day together came and went, and I'm just not sure whether I love it or love to hate it. I am your hopeless romantic, but lately I think I'm just becoming too practical. I mean what girl doesn't like chocolate, or flowers, or gifts? But geez, the pressure to always do something fun as a couple is burdensome. And how practical is it to overpay for a cutesy themed pre-fixed meal and $15 per hour childcare to consume it? And who said that Hallmark and Russell Stover has to tell us how to show love every year?

Poor Patrick scours the websites looking for the perfect overpriced red roses to send me because it's mandated that all husbands get their wives flowers and they can't just come home with it, they have to have it delivered publicly so everyone knows how much they are loved---and when they finally are delivered, IF they are delivered--they wind up being a much less red, smaller version, bouquet of what he imagined!

So, this year - no chocolate, no roses, no pre-fixed menus, no dressing up. We decided that there's no pressure. After we got free childcare (thank you mom & dad), we went to see the all-star cast movie, Valentines Day (you can't get away without doing something cheesy) and met our friends, the Lauers, for a double date dinner at a fabulous Thai restaurant within 10 yards of the theatre. I was in jeans and sneakers. It was perfect. Patrick actually shed a tear in the movie, and we had a few cocktails, spicy thai food, and great conversation. So, instead of commiserate, I celebrate Valentines Day! Until 2011 comes and I will need to go through this exercise all over again....

2 comments:

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

oh Soryda, I am living vicariously through you. You just described my perfect valentine's day. I really want to see that movie, and I'm pretty sure I know what restaurant you went to. And to do it all in jeans and with some good friends - perfect!

mom2boyz said...

I myself prefer the less planned and more spontaneous type dates...those can happen anytime and are much more fun (imho) =)

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...