Saturday, March 27, 2010

Baby Shower for a Princess

It was a labor of love. Many years ago, I said I would throw Michelle (pictured in the center) a beautiful baby shower, as a celebration for her because she had endured two difficult miscarriages...and then finally, she was pregnant for a third time, and got through her first trimester. Well, God continues to be faithful as she's in her 35th week with a baby girl.

So, as you know me well, it was all about the creativity and the details. I recently got into sewing, baking, and crafts - so watch out Adrianna, a website may be coming soon. Check out all the fun I had in creating this baby shower:

I found these on Craigslist for $10 -
your usual brass standard builder chandelier.


Then, I was tickled pink with a can of spray paint for $3.44.



Add some fun embellishments from AC Moore,
with a handy glue gun.


And voila! You can have yourself a room just like this.


Yes.... each of the seat covers were handmade.
(For a DIY lesson on how to make these, see my friend Jen.)
Total cost of fabric for 15 chairs - a whopping $10 dollars.




And I found all my tea china at local thrift stores.
I added Michelle's favorite flowers in a pale pink,
and created a beautiful tablescape.


The tea menu was carefully selected,
and it was DELICIOUS!


The cranberry scones with Devonshire cream and jam, the perfectly pink cupcakes, Russian tea cakes and I went a little nuts (is this any surprise?) and handcrafted the perfect sugar cookies with pearl crystals! But I didn't do it alone, I had a great helper.




Sadly, all that hard work, and no one ate the cookies because they said it was too pretty. Well, I went out of my way to make things as pretty as possible. My new name is O-T-T. As in Over-The-Top. Some might take it as derogatory, but I took it as a compliment. Why would you do anything in life any other way? For you blog followers, I even sewed my own pillows. (Can't see them that well, they are on the white couches. As a side note, if you buy them at the store, it's $19.99 each. My price - 3 pillows for $11.00 - I'm a sewing convert!)


Oh, and the tablecloth below was $5.00 (I got 5 and 1/2 yards on sale!) I'm totally giddy with JoAnn Fabrics and the endless possibilities with fabric. If I had bought table cloths at the store, I would have needed two for $15-20 each.


Everyone had a really nice time. But mostly, I hope Michelle felt cherished, because it was truly given by me and Michelle Grande, with love. Can't wait to meet the princess!

9 comments:

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

SHUT. UP!!! This is awesome Soryda!!! And I didn't even know Michelle was pregnant! I've been stalking pictures of her on your blog, just hoping, but none were revealing enough :)

Whenever you're ready to guest blog, let me know! I just love LOVE everything you did. The chair covers are above and beyond.

Michelle said...

I see you found my camera! I figured you would be giddy with delight as you realized you would be able to blog and post the lovely memories from today. I love your vision for things. and yes, you are a genius :-).
Love ya!

jessel said...

Soryda, you go girl. I love it. Alana saw the blogpost and said, "Is that what my tea party will look like?" I said, "Yes but with butterflies!" She is so very excited! This is your calling Soryda. You are awesome at this stuff!

Christine said...

BEAUTIFUL! Soryda, I absolutely LOVED it! Great job!

Crystal said...

I. LOVE. THIS.

Makes me want to have #5 so that you could plan a shower for me. HA!

Congratulations to your friend Michelle.

mom2boyz said...

Wow, do you have your own cable show yet?!! Over the top is a bit of an understatement ;o) amazing!

Angela said...

O-T-T....you got it right! But everything looks amazing! I am "hiring" you to throw my shower when I finally get my girl. :)

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

WOW! Beautiful job! I love everything - you are so gifted!

Judi said...

Soryda you are an amazing young woman! I am so thankful that the Lord brought you into Jen's life and now into mine. I love your creativity and enthusiasm for life and for the Lord.

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...