Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Madness

So, I had imagined this beautiful, serene, Mother's Day Celebration, kicking off with a baby dedication ceremony followed by a peaceful lunch with family, as a tribute to all the hard work I've put in as a mother. Three and half good years of service. Hah! Caelan cried the entire time he was up on stage....I'm not sure what we even said during the dedication.


He was fussy at lunch. He cried for the entire ride to see Auntie Heather's and Uncle Eric's new house. He napped for about an hour, and then started crying some more at dinner as we pretended to celebrate with my side of the family, honoring my mom. For which I have no pictures because well, I was too busy trying to console the inconsolable!

Well, I was humbled about my bad attitude on Mother's Day when I noticed today, during his early afternoon hysterics that his tongue had white spots and his hands and feet had little red dots. I rushed him to the doctor's office, and they immediately diagnosed him with Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease (HFMD). Sound serious, but it's rather not. It's a viral infection that works itself out in five days like a nasty cold. But it leaves in its wake a highly irritable, inconsolable child who has a fever, sore mouth and throat, and aches. He won't eat anything, and he doesn't sleep very much. He doesn't want to be held, but screams hysterically when I put him down.

Worse, it's contagious and now Micah is showing symptoms of a temperature too. Lord, heal my little guys quickly and bring them back to their happy, little double-dimpled, selves where they just want to wrestle me or shoot guns at me. I'll take that any day, over this! Sometimes, mothering can be very challenging. All I have to say is---thank God for Children's Tylenol. What in the world do mothers in 3rd world countries do without it?

4 comments:

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

oh bless your heart! I think all of the Loudoun campus has this. The kids and I came down with it Wednesday night...fevers....spots...blisters. It's awful. I'm so sorry! I hope he's feeling better soon! I'm hoping we'll get to "reschedule" Mother's Day!

Sam, Adrianna, Zoe, Penny, & June said...

So sorry, Soryda! My co-blogger Susan's kids just had this too. I can attest that it does go away within a week, but it is definitely not fun! Hope you guys get through it quickly!

Meghan said...

Oh no! Poor little guys! I hope they recover soon.

Kevin said...

Praying for you and the boys for a swift recovery for them and an extra measure of patience and maintenance of sanity for you!

Kevin & Adrienne

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...