Thursday, August 5, 2010

Help! My Child Swallowed a.....

A dime. Yep. I've heard many stories about children swallowing coins, but I have always been pretty thankful it never happened to us. Until yesterday that is.


Faced with that dreadful moment where you hear your 22-month old choking and spitting up, I race over and see on the carpet some blood mixed with spit up. My eyes widen in panic. My heart begins to race. I open his mouth and I'm face-to-face with that inevitable moment - the horror of seeing a shiny dime at the back of my child's throat and being powerless to do anything to stop it from being swallowed.

I was NOT going to go down without a fight. I immediately turned him face-forward, whacked his back several times. Within several seconds, fortunately---the gagging stopped, but the coin was not recoverable. I immediately called poison control who told me to take him to the ER. They were concerned that although he seemed to be breathing fine, that the blood might have caused some damage to the esophagus. Also, it was always a good idea to get an X-ray to see if it was lodged anywhere.

So, with a sweet prayer from Micah, we headed off to the Emergency Room.

And waited...



Finally, got admitted. Then they took some vitals.
And we waited....


Hmhh...and then waited.


Couldn't take the wait
any longer.


Finally, after 1 hour 20 minutes, the X-ray Tech came.



And after two full hours, during nap time of course,
the doctor came in. You'll never believe this.
He told me the unimaginable....


He said, "Ma'am, there's no dime there."
"What???", I exclaimed. "I saw it in the back of his throat with my own eyes."
"Yes, we checked everywhere and the dime isn't there."

Praise, that we didn't have to pump his stomach or anything. But, I got to tell you, I am simply dumbfounded. No---boggled beyond belief. I went home and retraced the area where he vomited and still no dime. I'm so confused. If it's not here, and not in him, than where did it go?? When I get to heaven, second thing I'm going to ask is "God, remember a long time ago when Caelan swallowed that dime - what happened to it??" I'm going to wait another 48 hours until his stool passes, and if I don't see a dime, I'm going to take him in for another X-ray. I just have to believe the x-rays are wrong, because unless it's a miracle -- which with God, all things ARE possible--I have got to know where that dime went. I have several more gray hairs, but I do have a lot to be thankful for. And laugh about.

Yes, one day this will be REALLY funny. I have yet another exciting segment in the adventures of motherhood. Not sure how much more I can take of this....adventure.


9 comments:

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

Aww poor baby! And poor MOMMY! I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been. Noah swallowed a dime earlier this year and it appeared about 24 hours later. That's wild that they didn't see it on the xray and you can't find it! So thankful he's ok :)

Matthew, Eve, Noah, Noelle, and Brooke said...

PS I obviously don't know how to read xrays but it looks like there is a circular item right in the middle of his pelvis?

Unknown said...

Yeah, apparently, that's his pant button. They said there's no way they could miss a dime. It's like Christmas lights on an X-ray. Still mind boggling....

jessel said...

Oh the drama. Great job handling this. I would have been a nervous wreck. Rob got a kick out of this and told me this story first thing in the morning! Wow. That is truly a "sign and wonder" for today!! They haven't ceased after all. Ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the trauma. I had to take Morgan in last week for a "nurse maids elbow". She didn't need any xrays as the radius(the bone)was manipulated back into place and she was immediately pain-free. It definitely took longer to drive the 18 min to the hospital, than to be seen!! And I wasn't even wearing my ID badge. Kristen

Eric said...

Wow! I just read this. What a relief that the little guy is alright. Praise God! So I have to ask. Did the dime ever show up? :)

Unknown said...

Hi i am a mother of 2 kids and my 1yr old baby boy swallow a 5peso coin so i decided to go to hospital same situation no coin found i think its realy miracle thank god! It happeneds 5hours ago!

Unknown said...

Hi i am a mother of 2 kids and my 1yr old baby boy swallow a 5peso coin so i decided to go to hospital same situation no coin found i think its realy miracle thank god! It happeneds 5hours ago!

Unknown said...

Hi i am a mother of 2 kids and my 1yr old baby boy swallow a 5peso coin so i decided to go to hospital same situation no coin found i think its realy miracle thank god! It happeneds 5hours ago!

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...