Monday, January 31, 2011

We're Downsizing!

This announcement may come as a shock to you, as it did to me when I first heard it, so I'll just say it: We are going to move. Again. Yes, out of the home we just arrived at 2 years ago. We're not sure where, or how, or when, but we are certain of one thing: we both heard from the Lord individually that we are to downsize our home.


It's a step of faith. It may sound ludicrous to most to sell our home in the middle of snowstorms, even before the Spring is here, with no place yet to move into, and oh yeah...another little detail....we're having a child very soon! But, Patrick and I are moving forward in faith taking steps and asking God for direction. Praying for His leading, and mostly for closed doors if this is not the exact timing for us.

It seems crazy, but we can't tell you how freeing it feels to follow the Lord's will and it feels wonderful to live in such a way that we are desperate for Him to come through. We are confident that He will.

Goodbye to-die-for Kitchen...

Last summer, it started when we had the Njengas at our home, the very poor African family. It opened up our eyes to how little we really needed. Then, several friends were going on mission trips and asking for support, and we realized we didn't have much in our giving funds. And as if His timing wasn't perfect, both our cars broke down at the same time leaving us feeling strapped as we didn't yet have the full amount saved to pay for a new car should one completely break down. By God's grace, we are debt free (aside from our home) and we want to stay that way. At the same time, we both were reading amazing books like Radical and the Forgotten God through our couples bible study, confirming to us that we were headed in the right direction.


So, Patrick knew that if we moved, with even lower interest rates than before, we'd decrease our mortgage, taxes, and utility bills by half. Also, our resort community has killer HOA fees, freeing us up to do so much more for God's kingdom. Also, long term, this would have us paying off our new home in no time!

Meanwhile, separately, I was feeling convicted about how much unusable space we had in our home, and slowly I became discontent with the unimaginable - feeling like the house was becoming an idol, hosting huge parties that left me feeling empty, and the time I spent cleaning and working to keep the house organized was just time-consuming and meaningless. Although I knew what God was telling me, I was afraid to tell Patrick and afraid to let go of my dream home.

When I finally shared it with him, he had smiled ear-to-ear praying that I would come around to what he already had heard as well. He feared that I could not give up this dream house, and he was so surprised and elated to see how God had completely changed my heart. So, we obey the call....

And, where are we going? Well, we don't know. Some place that's going to be half the mortgage and in a community where we can be planted to do great things for Him. That's all we know, and that's all we need to know----for now. When we know more, this blog will record it so our children will also one day understand our decision. But for the time being, please pray for us as we take this leap to put our house on the market and pray for the right property to come on the market as well. He is so faithful. Thanks for being a part of this journey with us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! Of course, I'll be recruiting you to 20165 neighborhood :-)) May you continue to be guided by the Lord, for His Glory....(maybe guided right next door to us!)
Jessel
p.s Oh good, now Joey won't come home from your house saying, "When are we going to get a super-huge house with a super-huge playroom?"!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing when God shakes us to our core, isn't it? For you it was the African family...me, the flood in my apartment. I realized I didn't need all this "stuff"...thanks for sharing your heart. I'm joining the downsizing trend, too! Will be praying for you!

Love,
Christine

Angela said...

Praying for you, my friend. And I'm with Jessel...come to 20165. :)

Anonymous said...

May God bless you richly for following and trusting His leading! We will be praying for that perfect home for your growing family.

Adrienne & Kevin

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...