Thursday, September 6, 2012

Micah Thrived and Mommy Survived!

Our first week of kindergarten came and gone and here's a snapshot of the week:



First day at the Bus Pick up Afterschool:
Mommy:  "Micah, how was it?"
Micah: "AWESOME."
[Wow, he never used the word awesome before.  Gosh, he LOOKS older too.]
Mommy: Um, did you see Mommy cry this morning when the bus left?
 Micah: No.  You were turned around, but I knew you did.

Day Two:
 Micah: Mommy, they don't talk about Jesus in Kindergarten, do they?
Mommy:[hesitation] No baby, they don't.
 Micah: ...Yeah, I didn't think so.
Mommy thinking: I can't believe he noticed that right away!  I did something right?@!

 

Day Three:
Micah: (Excitedly)  Guess what mommy?  
Mommy: What??
Micah:  I got my first library book!  [Serious face]  We have to return it next Thursday.
Mommy:  [Equally serious tone]  Okay.

Micah's Teacher



Day Four:
Mommy:  Oh no Micah, is that the bus??  It's early.  We missed the bus.
[A look of shock, and then horror, and then panic.  Breaking out into tears!]
Mommy! Oh no!  What do we do?
Mommy: Well, Micah, I'll just take you to school.
[(Still a mess.  Massive bucket of alligator tears]  Ooohkkaayy...but I LOVE the bus!

Day Five:
Mommy: What's your favorite part of Kindergarten?
Micah:  Recess.
Mommy:  Hey, me too.


First time seeing the gymnasium.  Response:  "Wow."

Micah absolutely LOVES Kindergarten.  He was made for this.  In fact, missing a day would result in an Oscar-winning performance of Child Traumatized.  Missing the bus this week was a good teachable moment for him.  After he immediately went HYSTERICAL, I was able to give him a talk about handling tough situations.  I asked him, "What is still good with this situation?"  His first response was, "Well, you can still take me."  That's right!  I made him repeat it three times that it's not a big deal.   Then, I said, "Well, what else did we learn?"  Without any prompting, he said, "We could leave earlier tomorrow."

Joey and Micah in line - first day of school. 
Yes!  That's right.  We learned something and if you do the same thing, you will produce the same results.  So, let's do something different tomorrow.  What a great opportunity to teach him a positive approach to responding to negative situations.  It's official:  We're learning something at school!

1 comment:

jessel said...

So grateful our boys are doing Kindergarten together!! What a blessing!

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...