Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Week in the Life of Micah

One thing I've been trying to do in this time of adjustment with a new baby is to make sure that my toddler still feels special, and for the most part, his schedule remains the same. Even on the most tired days where I can hardly keep my head up, I figure I'll be fatigued beyond belief ANYWHERE I am, so I might as well stimulate my child and also connect with good friends who will help me forget my exhaustion. Here is our little Beethoven enrolled in group piano lessons for 1-year old musical prodigies. Hah, I wish!



Also, Patrick and I believe (and this is one of the reasons why I chose to stay at home) that age 1-5 is the most important time for growth and development and this is where Micah builds his foundation on life. Our challenge is to give him freedom to grow, but also establish good boundaries. Tough job, and we haven't even entered the terrible two's yet!

So, what does he do all week? Well, Mondays are errand days where he gets dragged across town to Wegmans, Costco, and usually Target. Then we come home, clean house, and do loads and loads of laundry. I think people think I'm a lonely mom at the grocery store talking to my children in the cart, but they don't know that all this talking is helping Micah learn. Everything is an object lesson. Tuesday and Wednesdays are usually multiple playdates. Lots of imagination and relationship-building. Here is Micah below with new friend, Roman. I have to say these two play so well together. They don't take each other's toys and they actually share.

And usually at every playdate, for some unknown reason, all the kids love to hug Micah. :)

 

 Every other week we get together for "Cousins Day" where my brother's kids and Micah and Caelan get to bond with family.

Thursday is Storytime at the library with Micah's neighbor, Jacob. They read and sing songs. Friday is usually a planned activity for just he and I so we have special mommy-time. Here's us doing crafts. He has been learning his colors and he is like a sponge - He's going to be two in 4 days - he learns so fast!


We think it's because his father spends a lot of time reading to him every night. And then the weekend rapidly approaches where we do something fun as a family, and Micah and daddy also have their quality time usually at the big park. He also enjoys his playtime at Sunday school at church. This investment, time of bonding, and all the things he's learning in these important developmental years, we pray, will set during this stage and will carry him through the rest of his life.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

You haven't figured out why playtime includes hugging Micah? Who wouldn't want to hug Micah? He's so huggable!!

mom2boyz said...

Looks like Micah has a pretty good life =) Let me know if we can kidnap him again and give him lots of hugs =)and by the way I am so impressed with how you keep up with your blog when you are getting NO sleep (I guess you may have more time then the rest of us though...haha-not really funny I know)

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...