Friday, January 9, 2009

An Ode to Mom

January 1st marks my mother's 50th birthday, again! For those of you who have followed my blog, I finally got the fryer and she loved it. After the sacrifices--- she better, right?!!

Well, she is worth every effort. I wish I could write a song or something, or offer some poetic justice in an effort to praise her because she is that wonderful. I get so tender when I talk about her, because she is a one-of-a-kind woman, full of strength, compassion, and a fierce loyalty when it comes to her children.

Now that I am a mom, there are times when I'm holding Micah or Caelan and I just can't seem to catch my breath because of how overwhelmed I am at the depth of my love for them. And I tell my mom this, and she says, "little girl, that's how I feel about you." I've heard her say it all my life, but I now fully understand with a mother's heart, what that really means.

If I were making yet another movie (I wish I had the footage for), it would fade to black.... and you see my mom escaping Cambodia during the Khmer Rouge, holding me over her head all night so I wouldn't be wet from 4-foot floods [fade] She is pushing me on the swing on a warm summer day [fade] she is helping me with my homework when the whole house is asleep [fade] she is mopping dirty bathrooms as a janitor and a cleaning lady, two jobs she took to help our family survive [fade] she's preparing some wonderfully delicious meal, all after having worked a full day [fade] she is standing over my father's hospital bed interceding in prayer [fade] she is sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ with a pure and holy passion [fade] she is chasing after Micah with Caelan in her arms...

Mom, thank you for loving me and epitomizing the verse: "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life...." (John 15:13)

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hello! I have tears in my eyes. Its because of your Mom's perseverance and fierce loyalty to Christ that you are blessed and are the person that you are today. Cheers to your Mother and I hope she gets to see another 50 years!

Anonymous said...

Your mother is a woman I admire very much. Her strength of character and love for her Savior are an example to us all. Mom R

Crystal said...

This is so beautifully written. Your mom is an ageless beauty, someone with an amazing inner strength.

Give my love to her ;).
Crystal

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...