Monday, January 9, 2012

I Plan to Not Plan


I consider myself a goal-oriented person.  So, the only way to make this work is to trick myself: I plan to not plan.  My quick fix for instilling a Sabbath for my family.   Every week I’m faced with the opportunity to rest. Actually it’s more than an opportunity, it’s a commandment from the Lord. But instead of planning for it to happen, I usually slip into a day of work.  I decided enough is enough, and I will not create any more seven-day work weeks.

Wanna know how this first Sunday of the year went?  Miserably!

I suppose I can use the excuse of I'm a busy mom of three children.  Or that dad is home to watch the kids while I can run out for a few minutes to the store, or you know...I just need to send out a few emails.  What's the big deal?  

The truth is I have a big problem with not knowing how to be still and to stop doing.  I've been running hard my whole life.  I learned this from my mother who can't sit still, either.  She's not fully to blame as there's every technological device out there to encourage me to do something other than rest or spend quality time with my family.  

There is my given tendency to work, which is an issue---but there's also the inability to just enjoy the rest.  I found myself after not cooking all day, spending time with the hubby and kids, taking a much-needed nap, and just sitting around watching TV---that around 5 p.m., I was bored out of my mind.  Secretly---as I was twiddling my thumb, I was asking myself, "What can I do that's productive?"

I have to give this Sabbath thing some more thought.  I must not be doing something right.  If I am getting bored entering into His rest, how am I going to do this for an eternity?   The Sabbath is supposed to be pleasurable and for my own good, but how come it feels like I'm being isolated and useless?

There it is-- you have my spiritual maturity in a nutshell!   Don't worry, I don't feel judged, just challenged.  I hope to be renewed in my mind about His rest, and give you a better report a few Sundays from now.  After all, I am still goal-oriented.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The fact that observing the sabbath seems so hard for you is probably a good sign that you need to observe it.

AmyP said...

I am feeling the call to be more intentional about observing the Sabbath also. But like you said, it's harder to do than expected!

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...