Tuesday, September 30, 2008

T'was the Night Before Baby....

And all through the Ring house, everyone was nesting, including my spouse! As a family, we're about as ready as can be for the arrival of our newest family member. This morning we woke up thinking it's our last day with just Micah, so I brought him over to our bed and we had family cuddle time. None of us said anything and surprisingly, as if he knew, Micah just laid there and let us sandwich him. We've prepared Micah with books about having a little brother, who will, by the way, have a gift for Micah when he arrives at the hospital to ensure instant likeability! Some good advice given by some very clever moms!

I thought Patrick might be freaking out right about now, but he's calmly been doing things around the house that I've asked him to do without any objections and last night, he was reading "Bringing Up Boys" by James Dobson. It's awesome that he's so serious about his role as a father, and I couldn't admire him more for doing what he feels is God's priority in his life.

Me? Well, this morning I had my last ultrasound (baby is 7lbs 9 ozs - plus or minus a pound) and also to my surprise, I am already 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. You men need to ask your wife or mom what that means! The doctor said I may go before tomorrow!

I did get a chance to go to Starbucks this foggy morning, order my last caramel macchiato (do not fret it was half-caf!) and I stared out the window and wondered if I was ever going to have this quiet solace again. I reveled in it until my thoughts drifted to an Asian woman walking in who was dressed in a crisp white shirt, Ann Taylor slacks, 4-inch heels, power-red lipstick and her power accessories - I'm referring to the bluetooth and PDA, and she didn't have to call out her order, because the Starbucks dude had already memorized it. I thought "Wow, was that me not too long ago? Would I ever be that girl again? Would I ever want to be?" How things have changed.

A stark contrast to her life, I can proudly say I just finished washing the sheets to the Moses Basket and every bib, swaddle, and onesie, has been washed and put away. Every closet is clean, and even the storage room is in its best shape. My hospital bag is packed. My mom is ready to spend the next three weeks helping with Micah and meals. We are ready. So, how come I feel so anxious?

Maybe because my world will irrevocably be turned upside down in the coming months...uh 18 years. There are just some things you can't be ready for. The transition of a permanent new family member in your life is one of them. Perhaps it also feels so planned, and so unnatural with a scheduled induction. No rushing to the hospital in the wee hours of the night, with contractions and labored breathing like last time. Patrick says this week will be like buying a new baby. Tuesday night, we don't have one. And Wednesday morning we can bring one home. It's all very surreal. But given my condition, I am praising God for the technologies, that if we didn't have them, my baby's life would surely have been in danger. I've had ultrasounds every three days for the last month and they have monitored me very closely. So far, everything looks good. There's still always a chance (even a day before the induction) of a sudden stillbirth, but this whole time I've been trusting and praying in God's sovereignty and whatever the outcome, I have a promise that He'll be with me!

Please keep us in your prayers, especially tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll be up all night (nothing unusual) trying to figure out how Micah will sleep through the crying, how I'll survive around -the-clock nursing, and if Pitocin makes everything go fast and furious and if I'll have missed the window to get any pain meds (I can not even go there!) But mostly, I'll be wondering what his little face will look like, and the euphoria I'll experience when I meet him for the first time? I'll let you know the answers to all these questions and more in the next blog! Pray for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...



Also visit my blog post web site

Spring Break 2015 - No Cabin Fever! Yogi Bear Luray

This spring break we wanted to squeeze in one more year of enjoying Yogi Bear Campgrounds before we started to venture out in the world of D...